LPC Living has developed proposals for a 40 acre site in east Cheshire which would create a new, energy-efficient manufacturing campus for the existing commercial tenant alongside up to 375 new homes.
The site, located on Ilford Way in the village of Mobberley 2km south of Manchester International Airport, has produced products under the Ilford Photo brand for more than 100 years.
At its peak the site was home to more than 2,000 employees. However changes in consumer demand for black and white photographic film, changes in the size of machinery required and rising energy prices led the tenant, HARMAN technology, to look at restructuring its operations.
These proposals, created by the Pervaiz Naviede Family Trust-owned developer, would see up to £100m being invested to deliver: -
- A modern campus for HARMAN technology in a seven and a half acre section of the site
- Up to 375 new homes
- 15 acres of newly-accessible public open space
- A new sports pitch with changing facilities
- A community growing space for fresh produce and children’s play area
- A developer contribution of more than £735,000 for new school places
A public consultation, A New Perspective for Ilford Way, was held in summer 2013. The two-day event generated more than 150 responses with two thirds of local residents supporting HARMAN’s desire to stay in Mobberley.
A detailed planning application for the HARMAN campus and an outline application for the new homes was submitted to Cheshire East Council in early 2014.